🔙 The BIG List of Video Game Randomizers
- Final Fantasy IX (Stiltzkin's Bag)
- Final Fantasy IX (VVs Randomizer)
- Monster Hunter: World
- Monster Rancher 2
- Quake II (Campaign Randomizer)
- Updated RandoQ link to a newer version.
- Fixed Star Fox 64 randomizer link.
- Updated Qhimm.com forums links to HTTPS.
- Final Fantasy IV (pixel remaster)
- Mega Man Battle Chip Challenge
- Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Nintendo Switch)
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/Four Swords
- Updated Archipelago entry with The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time support and note about non-randomized integrations.
- Clarified that JamSnack's Terraria randomizer requires tModLoader.
- Minor fixes to game name criteria section.
- Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights
- Star Fox 64
- Updated the Diablo II randomizer entry with a newer version and a Discord invite for support.
- Milon's Secret Castle
- Pokémon Crystal Version / Pokémon Crystal Speedchoice (hack) (Type Chart Randomizer)
- Super Mario Bros. 2 (MaCobra52's)
- Clarified randomizer definition wording, especially the part related to the new exclusion from the previous update.
This update comes with a major change to the definition of what counts as a randomizer. More precisely, a randomizer may not force its user to apply any major change that is not designed to accomodate the randomization of the original game data.
This change is to prevent the list from being bloated with a limitless supply of randomizer variants and total conversion mods, an issue which was growing at an exponential rate. This was especially problematic for classic id Software games due to their extensive modding heritage, allowing for easy remixes and extensions of other related mods.
While this means that some fan favorites like Complex DooM are being delisted, this also has the advantage of keeping the list focused on what matters the most for me and the portion of randomizers' fans that I try to cater to: fresh, vanilla-like experiences of our favorite games.
Note that the main games affected with this change so far are The Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Heretic, Quake and Quake II. I have made a public backup of all the delisted entries, for those curious.
- Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
- Salt and Sanctuary
- Super Mario Bros. 2 (Door Randomizer)
- Doom II / Final Doom (The Populator)
- The Ultimate Doom / Heretic (MOShuffle)
- Added the requirement for randomizers to not force major changes unrelated to the randomization of original game data, and removed all identified entries that are no longer in scope. (See above for details.)
- Marked Rydel's Reshuffler for EarthBound as obsolete.
- Marked ORO-RANDOM-DOOM as obsolete.
- Fixed links to the Improved Anvil mods for Baldur's Gate II.
- Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix (Tommadness and thundrio's)
- Restored Terranigma's randomizer entry now that it is functional again.
- Added Subnautica compatibility to Archipelago.
- Added Metroid Prime compatibility to Randovania, and updated URL accordingly.
- Marked BashPrime's Metroid Prime randomizer as obsolete.
- Removed multiworld requirements information as it was getting problematic to keep up-to-date, and are now well documented in the documentation of each applicable entries.
- Minor simplification of the non-conformance criteria.
- Mario Kart 64
- Metroid Fusion
- Paper Mario
- StarCraft II
- Reordered entries under Metroid so that Metroid: Zero Mission appears immediately after the original Metroid.
- Updated JSRF: Jet Set Radio Future randomizer link to version 3b3, and put back notice that the related the Discord server may contain future releases.
- Updated entry for PyramidK's Resident Evil 3: Nemesis randomizer with newer version.
- Fable - The Lost Chapters
- Fable Anniversary
- Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age (Open World Randomizer)
- Subnautica (Raqzas's)
- Marked Stephen England's Subnautica randomizer as obsolete.
- Civilization VI (Random Religions)
- Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMix (KHPCSpeedrunTools)
- Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole
- Shining Force II (Shining Chaos Prelude)
- Uncharted Waters: New Horizons
- Marked StraySouls for Dark Souls III as obsolete with a warning about not randomizing bosses to prevent softlocks.
- Donkey Kong 64 (2dos's 2021)
- Final Fight Anniversary Edition (Final Fight hack)
- Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon
- Streets of Rage 4
- The Ultimate Doom / Doom II / Final Doom / Heretic / Hexen: Beyond Heretic (OBSIDIAN)
- Removed the Terranigma randomizer TerraFluky as it is no longer functional.
- Marked OBLIGE as obsolete.
- Added warning that the Donkey Kong 64 Loading Zone Randomizer requires a special emulator.
- Blade of Darkness (Gorentity Mod with Random Enemy Creator)
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III
- The Ultimate Doom / Doom II (Vandomizer)
- Updated Archipelago entry following added support for Factorio and Minecraft: Java Edition.
- Fixed dead link to DrunkWario's Dead Rising randomizer.
- Removed Raz0r's Resident Evil 4 randomizer as the required game version is no longer available.
- Removed outdated requirement for the Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix randomizer now that it works with the PC version.
- Minor description edit for tools with bundled randomizers.
- Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (Nintendo 3DS)
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
- Marked the original Universal Pokemon Randomizer as obsolete, and restructured the speedchoice variant as a separate entry.
- Dragon Quest III: The Seeds of Salvation (Super NES)
- SteamWorld Dig
- SteamWorld Dig 2
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
- Updated ddrand to v0.2.0 (still a mirror).
- Breath of Fire III
- Quest 64
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom / The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie / Scooby-Doo: Night of 100 Frights
- Updated link of the Mega Man: The Wily Wars randomizer to one that does not require a Discord account.
- Updated link of ddrand to a mirror, as the original GitHub repository is no longer available.
- Doom Eternal
- EarthBound (PK Scramble)
- Kartia: The Word of Fate
- Mass Effect 2
- Mega Man: The Wily Wars
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (EA Taiwanese)
- The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (Random Starting Dungeon)
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
- Updated the Hitman 2 (2018) randomizer entry, now that it switched game compatibility with Hitman 3 (2021) instead.
- Marked The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall Starting Dungeon Randomizer as obsolete.
- Added a debug weapon nerf mod for NVRNG.
- Pokémon Rejuvenation (fangame)
- Updated Hollow Knight randomizer entry to v3.
- Updated Final Fantasy V Ancient Cave English translation patch link to v0.8.
- Fixed dead link to BashPrime's Metroid Prime randomizer.
- Updated randomizer entries hosted on CodePlex, including linking to the Internet Archive Wayback Machine instead in anticipation of CodePlex Archive's planned shut down next July.
- Updated a bunch of links from HTTP redirects.
- Removed link to Truthkey's Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix randomizer, as it was deleted by its author.
- Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES)
- Pokémon Stadium 2 (RainbowSprinklez's)
- Super Smash T.V.
- The Little Mermaid
- The Messenger
- Added Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex compatibility with Mod Crate Loader.
- Added multiplayer notice to Roman971's The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time randomizer.
- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Randomization Generator, Randomizer Tweaks and True Randomization Script)
- Bravely Default / Bravely Second: End Layer
- Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition
- Fallout: New Vegas (NVRNG)
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Door Randomizer + 2 obsolete ones)
- Clarified and standardized Turok's game name and version.
- Marked Pokémon Crystal Speedchoice Key Item Randomizer as obsolete.
- Donkey Kong (Randomized Edition)
- Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (2015)
- Updated URL to BloodSweatAndCode's Castlevania II: Simon's Quest randomizer.
- Marked Bynine's Dragon Quest Monsters 2 randomizer as obsolete.
- Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
- Super Metroid (World Randomizer)
- Added multiplayer notice for The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons randomizer.
- Updated the Axiom Verge randomizer with a download link to a version containing an unbalanced monster randomizer prior to its removal.
- Marked the Axiom Verge randomizer as obsolete, as a new version is now part of the main game.
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (the outdated Bonta0's Multiworld)
- Ultima VI: The False Prophet (Super NES)
- Updated the Super C randomizer entry with a permalink.
- Updated the links to the main Final Fantasy randomizers for NES and PSP.
- Complete overhaul of entries for multiworld-compatible randomizers.
- Removed links to the source code of TestRunner's Ocarina of Time randomizer as they are now on the website.
- Adventure Island II
- Dwarf Fortress (Random plant creation script + Random Raw Scripts)
- Final Fantasy Legend II
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps
- Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium (Profound Disorder)
- Resident Evil 4 (Ultimate HD Edition)
- The World Ends with You
- Updated the Super C randomizer link to the latest version.
- Minor link updates for the Final Fantasy V Career Day, Mega Man X, Ori and the Blind Forest and the old Phantasy Star IV randomizers.
- Removed PerfectWorldDF, as it's not a randomizer for Dwarf Fortress after all.
- Legend of Grimrock 2
- Quake II
- Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
- Super C (NES) (SpiderDave's)
- Added name, work-in-progress Windows port and source code of StarsMmd's Pokémon Colosseum / Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness.
- Fixed typo in Stardew Valley game name.
- Minor fix to the order of the Cave Story randomizers.
- Updated all Discord invite links from discord.gg to discord.com to avoid needless redirection.
- Clarified in the bottom section that randomizers are about randomly arranging game data rather than simply adding randomness to a game, and that their randomization coverage must be complete.
- Added Scenario Generator as reference for an interesting ruleset generator.
This update comes with a few major changes as to what constitutes a valid entry in the list.
First, from now on, I will consider all official randomizers as being out of scope, reverting the change I did a year ago on this regard. I came to the conclusion that while there is value for including a list of games that had randomization features added post-release or that are exclusive to specific versions only, I realized that this was almost impossible to track for games that receive or received frequent updates, and I was getting more and more uncomfortable with the idea of a community-driven project on my website effectively being used as free advertisement by game publishers. As such, they have been removed. This includes Yoku's Island Express despite the randomizer feature being hidden in a Steam beta branch, and Lizard despite the randomizer being a separate tool as it is from the same author as the main game and advertised on the game's website.
Second, I will now consider randomizers that worked on old versions of games, but not with the latest according to user comments, to be out of scope if said old versions can no longer be easily acquired or played by the general public. I considered using the "OBSOLETE" tag for historical purposes, but since they unfortunately are unplayable, I see no reason to clutter the list with them. Note that as I previously did, I will provide instructions on how to acquire older builds from official sources whenever appropriate.
- Civilization V (Civ Randomizer)
- Europa Universalis IV (3 randomizers)
- Hearts of Iron IV
- Imperator: Rome
- Prey (2017)
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
- Stardew Valley (Queen of Sauce Randomizer)
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition (Alchemy Effects Randomizer + Word Walls Randomizer)
- The Guardian Legend (Micheil Skeens's)
- Victoria II (Random World Generator, both original and newer versions)
- Updated Code Vein randomizer entry with newer version.
- Added instructions on how to downgrade builds for Paradox Development Studio games.
- Tagged The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition Randomized Word Walls as obsolete.
- Removed all randomizers that no longer matches the changes above. (8 in total.)
- Rewrote part of the bottom section to clarify the updated inclusion criteria and restore the honorable mention to the Nintendo 64 version of Resident Evil 2.
- Fixed bad link to the Goof Troop randomizer.
- Minor name fix to the Mega Man 6 and Resident Evil 2 Sourcenext randomizers.
- Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Randomizer 2)
- Crusader Kings II
- Darkest Dungeon (ddrand)
- Goof Troop
- Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
- Resident Evil 5
- The Legend of Zelda (Infinite Hyrule)
- Willow (NES)
- Removed the Super Mario Bros. 2 Door Randomizer since it is no longer functional. Its author, pepperpow, retired it.
- Updated links and descriptions of the Mega Man 6 and Resident Evil 2 Sourcenext randomizers, as the original links were pointing to deleted Twitter accounts.
- Updated information related to referenced Discord servers.
- Octopath Traveler (Boss Randomizer)
- Octopath Traveler (Job Randomizer)
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
- Minor correction to Truthkey's Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix randomizer description.
- Fire Emblem Awakening (Class-Skill-Randomizer)
- Fire Emblem Awakening (rambon99's)
- The Legend of Zelda (Reloaded)
- Ufouria: The Saga
- Updated link to Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones Self-Randomizing.
- Joe & Mac: Caveman Ninja (Super NES)
- Noita (Steam Workshop - Randomizers)
- Pokémon Gaia Version (Pokémon FireRed Version hack)
- Super Metroid (DASH)
- Super Metroid (Item Randomizer Multiworld)
- Added Universal Pokemon Randomizer ZX support for Pokémon X / Pokémon Y / Pokémon Omega Ruby / Pokémon Alpha Sapphire / Pokémon Sun / Pokémon Moon / Pokémon Ultra Sun / Pokémon Ultra Moon.
- Darius Twin
- Rome: Total War
- Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
- Sonic Robo Blast 2 (fangame)
- Super Smash Bros. Melee
Added Medabots: Metabee / Medabots: Rokusho randomizer.
- Civilization VI (Tech and Civic Shuffle Mode)
- Darkest Dungeon
- Updated the JSRF: Jet Set Radio Future randomizer link to the latest version.
- Fixed the Contra randomizer link to a backup, as the official download link has gone dead.
- Fixed the Scourge of War: Gettysburg randomizer links, as NorbSoftDev broke URLs to its forums.
- Pokémon Red Version / Pokémon Blue Version / Pokémon Yellow Version: Special Pikachu Edition / Pokémon Gold Version / Pokémon Silver Version / Pokémon Crystal Version / Pokémon Ruby Version / Pokémon Sapphire Version / Pokémon FireRed Version / Pokémon LeafGreen Version / Pokémon Emerald Version / Pokémon Diamond Version / Pokémon Pearl Version / Pokémon Platinum Version / Pokémon HeartGold Version / Pokémon SoulSilver Version / Pokémon Black Version / Pokémon White Version / Pokémon Black Version 2 / Pokémon White Version 2 (Universal Pokemon Randomizer ZX)
- Pokémon Trading Card Game (pokepress's)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
- Added Crash Bandicoot, Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back and Crash Bandicoot: Warped to the list of games supported by Crate Mod Loader.
- Marked xCrystal's Pokémon Trading Card Game randomizer as obsolete.
- Final Fantasy XIII (Steam)
- Lisa: The Pointless (fangame)
- Tomb Raider II
- Updated link to the Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas randomizer.
Note that I recently lowered the standard for list inclusion so that randomizers don't absolutely have to be designed to prevent unwinnable states, as long as such occurances are extremely unlikely or have reasonable workarounds. If this starts to cause too many problems, I might revert this decision in the future.
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
- Hitman 2
- Minecraft: Java Edition (Fasguy's + 2 obsolete ones)
- Need for Speed Carbon
- Ninja Gaiden (NES)
- Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (Infinite Pit)
- Updated link to AM2R fan update (again) and improved description.
- Updated link to the Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Shufflizer.
- Removed link to the Everest mod loader for Celeste, as the randomizer requiring already links to it in its documentation.
- Modified the definition of what a randomizer is based on the lowering of standard described above.
- Final Fantasy VIII / Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
- Godzilla: Monster of Monsters
- Monster Party
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES) (abyssonym's)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES) (kavoc's)
- Secret of Evermore
- Updated URL to the Terranigma randomizer to one that does not require a Discord account.
- Updated URL to the Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest randomizers.
- Clash at Demonhead
- Code Vein
- Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (HeyImTG's)
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Door Randomizer)
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Berserker's Multiworld)
- Updated URL to the The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess randomizer.
- OpenTyrian (Tyrian open source port)
- Added cheat code to unlock AM2R Random Game+ mode, which was introduced in fan patch v1.5.
- Clarified that Multi-series is at the bottom of the list where applicable.
- Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix (Valaxor's)
- Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky (SkyTemple Randomizer)
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time / The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master (Roman971's)
- Added Yuurand: Tales of the Labyrinth as a randomized Zelda Classic quest.
- Added link to Niamek's The Philosophy of Randomizers document.
- Deus Ex
- Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
- Shining Force
- Super Paper Mario
- The Witness (Witness Random Puzzle Generator)
- Added Mirage Island as a randomized Zelda Classic quest.
- Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
- The Adventures of Captain Comic
- Minor edit of the Super Castlevania IV randomizer link to point directly to the latest version.
- Solar Jetman
- Removed the Contra / Super C randomizer. From the author metalmachine: "The last build posted was broken and I don't have the source anymore, so this project is dead for the time being."
- Updated links to the Pokémon XD/Colosseum randomizer and the Half-Life randomizer.
- Added additional special emulator information and links to them where applicable.
- Added warnings that the Half-Life 2 randomizer and the Game Dev Tycoon TotalRandomiser may not work on the latest version.
- Added note about tabletop game randomizers with a few examples.
- Dark Souls III (Fog Gate Randomizer)
- Demon's Souls
- Diablo II
- Fallout 4 (Weapon Quality Randomizer)
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (LADXR)
- Updated name of Dark Souls III Item Randomiser and Auto-Equip.
- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
- Mega Man Battle Network 2
- Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman
- Pathologic 2
- Split the online and offline randomizers of Pokémon Crystal Speedchoice (hack) as they are diverging.
- Fixed Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice duplicate entry.
- Replaced word "patch" with "update" to avoid confusion.
- Azure Dreams (Game Boy Color)
- Crash Nitro Kart / Crash Twinsanity / Crash Tag Team Racing / Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc (Crate Mod Loader)
- Crash Tag Team Racing (CTTRRando)
- Dark Souls III (Enemy Randomizer)
- Final Fantasy VII
- Resident Evil 3 (2020)
- Super Win the Game
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- Minor clarification of video game systems acronyms
- Dokapon Kingdom
- Added an unofficial web-based port of the Zelda II: The Adventure of Link randomizer.
- Added link to the beta version of the Super Metroid / The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past crossover randomizer.
- Updated link to BashPrime's Metroid Prime randomizer.
- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
- Yu-Gi-Oh! The Duelists of the Roses
- Added offline version of the Pokémon Crystal Speedchoice randomizer.
- Fixed link to online version of the Pokémon Crystal Speedchoice randomizer.
- Updated duncathan salt's Cave Story randomizer entry with Cave Story+ compatibility.
- Marked shru's Cave Story randomizer as obsolete.
- Updated link to BloodSweatAndCode's Castlevania II: Simon's Quest randomizer.
- Fixed Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix game name.
- Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition / Dark Souls: Remastered (Paramdomizer)
- Dark Souls III (Irregulator)
- Final Fantasy (Deep Dungeon)
- Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
- The Simpsons: Hit & Run
- The Ultimate Doom / Doom II / Final Doom / Heretic / Hexen: Beyond Heretic / Strife / Chex Quest (Universal Entropy)
- The Ultimate Doom / Doom II / Final Doom (QuakeStyle Unbound)
- The Ultimate Doom / Doom II (QuakeStyle ZX)
- Added Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance to the list of games supported by Yune.
- Updated links to ducathan salt's Cave Story randomizer, jespoke's Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance randomizer, and the FFX Randomizer.
- Fixed game compatibility for a few Doom II randomizers.
- Dark Souls III (Static Item Randomizer)
- Stardew Valley (More Random Edition)
- The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (4NM_Randomizer)
- Updated link to Gato Roboto randomizer to one that doesn't require a Discord account.
- Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
- Final Fantasy VI (Worlds Collide)
- Pokémon Crystal Version (Item Randomizer)
- Terraria (JamSnack's)
- You Have to Win the Game
- Removed the Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light randomizer, because the executable has been missing for more than a month, and because I can't find a mirror of it. Unfortunately I have been unable to contact the author about this issue so far. The only clue I have left is that the Dropbox account uploader was "J. Posadas".
- Removed the following entries due to containing pre-applied randomization data: Resident Evil Outbreak, Resident Evil Outbreak File #2, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (finap13's Item Randomizer)
- Clarified the exclusion criteria list, including about the previous point.
- Gato Roboto
- Pokémon Red Version / Pokémon Blue Version (Ubuntaur's, obsolete)
- Pokémon Gold Version / Pokémon Silver Version / Pokémon Crystal Version / Pokémon Ruby Version / Pokémon Sapphire Version / Pokémon FireRed Version / Pokémon LeafGreen Version / Pokémon Emerald Version (pateandrew's, obsolete)
- Quake (EXQ)
- Quake (RandoQ)
- Added note that the New section does not include obsolete entries.
- Pokémon Red Version / Pokémon Blue Version (Key Item Randomizer)
- Fixed broken link to the Resident Evil 2 Sourcenext randomizer.
- Chrono Trigger (Jets of Time)
- Hollow Knight (various randomizers)
- Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix
- Added link to the source code of the The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD randomizer.
- Merged all Hollow Knight randomizers into a single entry.
Added additional information about the Resident Evil Outbreak randomizers and related fan servers.
- Resident Evil Outbreak
- Resident Evil Outbreak File #2
Added Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light randomizer.
- Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition / Dark Souls: Remastered (Fog Gate Randomizer)
- Pokémon Crystal Speedchoice (hack) (Key Item Randomizer)
- Pokémon: Let's Go Pikachu! / Pokémon: Let's Go Eevee! / Pokémon Sword / Pokémon Shield
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Added unofficial Speedchoice hacks support information for Universal Pokemon Randomizer.
- Added note about where to find Speedchoice hacks for Pokémon games due to their obscurity.
- Clarified that the Dark Souls randomizers are for both Prepare to Die Edition and Remastered.
- Removed the obsolete tag for ORO-RANDOM-DOOM.
- Golden Sun: The Lost Age
- Clarified which beta branch is applicable to access the Yoku's Island Express randomizer.
- Relabelling of "built-in" randomizers to "Included".
After a long consideration, I decided to include randomizers that are included in official games under certain conditions. Specifically, such randomizers must not be part of the core experience, nor present in the original release. Note that I might tweak this rule in the future if it turns out to be too restrictive or too lax.
- Metroid (Planets)
- Resident Evil 2 (N64) (built-in)
- Yoku's Island Express (built-in)
- Updated randomizer definition and exclusion list to match the above change.
- Removed honorable/dishonorable mentions.
Clarified that the Resident Evil 3: Nemesis randomizer is also a trainer.
- Environmental Station Alpha
- Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
- Removed link to the Dark Souls Weapon Randomizer as it was deleted by the author, Robert Michaels. After verification with him, it was apparently unfinished, and was a sub-function of the item randomizer for the same game anyway.
- Added EmoTracker in the I Want More section.
- La-Mulana 2
- Pokémon Stadium 2
- The Ultimate Doom / Doom II / Final Doom (Complex DooM)
- Left 4 Dead 2
- Half-Life 2
- Heretic (Legions, Style Mod)
- Doom-engine games (CustomDoom, HXRTC Project Golden Edition, Universal Custom Doom, Vanilla Doom Plus)
- Updated link to the Illusion of Gaia randomizer.
- Minor link updates for multiple randomizers hosted on phpBB forums.
- Minor edit in Samsara's description for consistency.
I previously forgot to put the Subnautica randomizer in the main list in addition to the new sub-list. This has been fixed.
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- Golden Sun
- Removed note that the Zelda 1 / Metroid 1 crossover randomizer requires a special emulator, as it no longer applies.
- Updated links to the Azure Dreams randomizer and the Metroid Metrandomizer.
Added Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem randomizer.
- Lost Kingdoms
- X3: Terran Conflict
- Fixed 2019-04-19 changelog entry where I forgot to mention Civilization V Randomized Uniques.
Updated link of the JSRF: Jet Set Radio Future randomizer to latest version.
- Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (BloodSweatAndCode's)
- Chrono Trigger (Wings of Time)
- Pokémon Colosseum / Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness (Reclaimer Shawn's)
- The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
- Slight clarifications to the exclusion list.
Added Terranigma randomizer.
- Project Base (Super Metroid hack)
- Z-Factor (Super Metroid hack)
- Unreal Tournament (Map Randomizer)
- Unreal Tournament (XMaps)
- Added unofficial 64-bit version of OBLIGE.
- Updated names of Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars randomizers to latest.
- More compact reformatting of hack and mod references, including the removal of links to Final Fantasy VI Brave New World and Super Mario Land 2 DX.
- Hyper Metroid (unofficial Super Metroid hack)
- X2: The Threat (XUniverseWizard)
- Fixed link to X2: The Threat Galaxy Editor, added small clarification about its content, and marked it as obsolete.
- Aerobiz Supersonic
- X2: The Threat
Note: While the X2 Galaxy Editor website is down as I'm writing this, it was working last week according to Google's cache, so I'm assuming it is a temporary problem. I'll update the link in the future to backed up copy from the Internet Archive if it appears otherwise in the future.
- Dead Rising
- Updated the glitch-related exclusion guideline to be specific to those that trivializes the challenge.
- Restored DeathBasket's The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask randomizers with a difficulty warning.
- Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls (HMS Jayne)
- Added glitch-related exclusion guideline, as they are equivalent to softlocks for casual players.
- Removed both of DeathBasket's The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask randomizers due to the required use of glitches.
- Removed MrCheeze's Paper Mario randomizer due to softlocks caused by randomization softlocks.
- Split The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition randomizers into separate entries for consistency.
- Clarified the description of Sword Coast Stratagems for Baldur's Gate II.
- Added note that the list is irrelevant of each randomizer's fun factor.
- Azure Dreams
- Added link to the Making a Randomizer AGDQ 2019 panel in the I Want More section.
Added Kid Icarus randomizer.
- Baldur's Gate / Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (Item Randomiser)
- Baldur's Gate / Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition / Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn / Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition (Sword Coast Stratagems)
- Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (Improved Anvil)
- Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition (Improved Anvil Enhanced Edition)
- Removed SMB Medley from the list after realizing while watching Vargskelethor's Twitch stream that level transitions are random instead of randomized.
- Fixed typo in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask game name.
- Fire Emblem: Thracia 776
- Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
- Updated Fire Emblem game names to their modern English variants, as they appear in Fire Emblem Heroes and its website.
- Added Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War as a newly-supported game for Yune.
- Marked jespoke's Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War randomizer as obsolete.
- Illusion of Gaia
- Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
- Pokémon Trading Card Game (Aroymart's)
- Put back references to the DKC Entrance Rando as the author restored the link, and added ROM version requirement as it is not clearly documented for the older DKC Randomizer.
- Added a link to Twitch's Randomizer tag filter page.
- Sonic Adventure DX
- Sonic Mania
- Minor change to the Resident Evil 2 Sourcenext version name.
- Simplified a few location-related descriptions.
- Resident Evil 2 (2006 Sourcenext)
- Sonic Adventure 2
- Super Mario 64 (aGlitch's)
- Super Mario 64 (Andre Meyer's)
- Reverted the Donkey Kong Country entry since the author removed the link to the DKC Entrance Rando for fixes.
- Minor randomizer names change to some of the Borderlands, Earthbound and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time randomizers for consistency.
- Rewrote the introduction of the "What is this list" section.
- Added "Randomization that is not persistent within the same playthrough" as an insufficient criterion.
- JSRF: Jet Set Radio Future
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (ZoeyZolotova's)
- Updated the Donkey Kong Country entry since the linked page now contains two separate randomizers for this game.
- Marked DeathBasket's 2019 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask randomizer as obsolete.
- Minor randomizer name changes for the Mario RPGs.
- Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Randovania)
- The old entry for Claris's Metroid Prime/Echoes Randomizer has been replaced with an entry for the obsolete Metroid Prime Seed Generator instead for consistency and clarity. Note that the reference to the Metroid Prime 2: Echoes winnable seed generator has been removed because it became Randovania, which is currently the official host of a newer version of Claris's Randomizer. Also note that the reference to the optional Metroid Prime Randomizer Script has also been removed to prevent confusion and messiness.
- Minor change to the names of Deathbasket's The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask randomizers.
- Updated link to Wild Mouse's Castlevania: Symphony of the Night randomizer.
- Minor fixes to game names and platforms in the Dragon Quest franchise.
- Another minor grammatical fix.
- Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (FFX Randomizer)
- Metal Gear
- Updated Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins randomizer URL.
- Minor grammatical fix.
- Civilization V (Randomized Uniques)
- Civilization V (various map scripts)
- Civilization VI (various map scripts)
- Simplified URL to the Crystalis randomizer.
- Blaster Master
- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Wild Mouse's)
- Final Fantasy V (Career Day)
- Removed all randomizers in the Team Fortress series (including the fangame) for violating the chaotic effects rule.
- Tagged old Castlevania: Symphony of the Night relic randomizer as obsolete.
- Civilization IV (massive collection of map scripts from CivFanatics and GameFront)
- Civilization IV: Colonization
- C-evo (Civilization II fangame)
- Dwarf Fortress
- Resident Evil 2 (2019)
- Super Mario Bros. 2 (Door Randomizer)
- Super Mario 64 (a non-chaos one this time)
- Added ObAddon unofficial expansion to OBLIGE.
- Updated links to the Mega Man Battle Network 5/6, Ori and the Blind Forest and Sonic the Hedgehog (SMS) randomizers.
- Fixed links to randomizers originally hosted on Yahoo! GeoCities Japan since it shut down.
- Fixed randomizers hosted on Nexus Mods and archived from GameFront back to GameFront now that it's back online.
- Forgot to set the link to Final Fantasy Legend III randomizer to use HTTPS instead of HTTP.
- Minor simplification of URLs for the Final Fantasy III randomizer and starmen.net links.
- Replaced OUTDATED tags with OBSOLETE tags to avoid confusion related to their release date.
- Added clarification about not documenting required expansions and DLC from game name rules.
- Cave Story (duncathan salt's)
- Updated link to the Super Metroid / A Link to the Past crossover randomizer.
- Removed beta link for the Super Mario RPG randomizer as it's now on the main website.
- Added dishonorable mention for Action 52 Genesis.
Added Silent Hill 2 / Silent Hill 3 randomizer.
- Donkey Kong 64
- Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
- The Witness
- Minor description changes to Claris's Metroid Prime 1 and 2 randomizer.
- Pokémon: Let's Go Pikachu! / Pokémon: Let's Go Eevee!
- Removed redundant NES tag for the original version of Final Fantasy.
- Split and updated The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time / Master Quest item randomizer into two entries, now that v4.0 is maintained separately from v3.0 and that the web patcher is now official with the new version. v3.0 is also now marked as OUTDATED.
- Fixed entries for Sanqui's randomizers, including removing the OUTDATED tag for his Pokémon Red Version randomizer since it runs online.
Added Axiom Verge randomizer.
- Updated BrutalOblige URL.
- Fixed Super Meat Boy series's name.
- Fixed Hexen: Beyond Heretic game name in Samsara description.
- Doom II (Colourful Hell)
- Super Adventure Island II
- Tecmo Super Bowl
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (DeathBasket's, 2019 edition)
- Now showing multi-series game list reference at the end of each series instead of mixed in-between non-multi-series entries.
- Added series for games only listed in Multi-series.
- Updated URL for the ModOhFun! randomizer for Doom II.
- Fixed game list and series for Doom engine entries, including only listing Doom II when original documentation was unclear.
- Fixed Crystalis not being in alphabetical order.
- Final Fantasy Legend III (under SaGa)
- Moved the OUTDATED tags to the end of each entry instead of the beginning.
- Fixed minor typo in Super Metroid Item Randomizer entry.
- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
- Renamed the X-COM series to its modern name XCOM.
- Renamed the Soul Blazer series to Illusion of Gaia, as it is the most modern name of the series that was officially disclosed. For those unaware, there is a direct story connection between Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma is referred in-game as "Illusion of Gaia 2".
- Removed series' alternate names. Maybe I'll put some of them back in the future if I ever define a clear criteria for doing so that I'm satisfied with.
- Dark Souls III (StraySouls)
- Replaced the "New and updated games" section with a "New randomizers" section, with direct links to the randomizers.
- Removed the NEW and UPDATED tags in the main list as they are now redundant.
- Minor layout changes.
Added Wario Land 3 randomizer.
- Final Fantasy VI (Beyond Chaos EX)
- Merged the Deprecated section into the main list with new Outdated tags.
- Tagged Beyond Chaos as obsolete.
- Split unofficial forks into their own entries.
- Modified a few Updated tags to New tags for clarity.
- Added source code link to all of Sanqui's randomizer entries.
Fixed entry for the Nestroid Randomizer for Metroid.
- Modified descriptions to refer to randomizers' name or primary author instead of features.
- Added source code to Sanqui's Pokémon Trading Card Game.
- Removed the online helper to Seanpr's Hollow Knight randomizer.
- Removed the Other category and split each entry from it into independent categories.
- Added beta version of the Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars randomizer.
- Added instructions for the Super Metroid Door Randomizer and Mega Man 2 Endless.
- Updated the link to Snarboo's Doom Monster Randomizer.
- Regrouped some of the Doom-family mods.
- Cave Story / Cave Story+
- Super Mario Bros. 3 (online version)
- Updated link to the Ori and the Blind Forest randomizer and removed its optional GUI link as it's no longer up-to-date.
Merged Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness entries to a new link that combines both.
- Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Cobi's Journey / Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure (x2)
Updated link to the Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones self-randomizer to one that supports HTTPS.
- Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar (NES)
- The Goonies II (new web-based version)
- Moved the older The Goonies II randomizer to the Deprecated section.
- Updated game name for Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium.
- Updated URL to Final Fantasy IV's The Lunarian Shuffle randomizer.
- Updated the descriptions of The Legend of Zelda randomizers to take into account recent updates.
- Added missing "unofficial mod" mention to Samsara within the Deprecated section.
- Final Fantasy V Advance (extensive changes)
- Final Fantasy V Advance (roguelike)
- Fixed the description of the Fallout: New Vegas randomizer.
- Updated description of wormsofcan's Final Fantasy V Advance job abilities randomizer.
- Updated the Mega Man 6 randomizer entry to a single link to the original announcement tweet.
- Updated link and description of the Donkey Kong Country randomizer so it always points to the latest version.
- Updated AM2R's community patch link to one that should always point to the latest version.
- Clarified location of randomizers hosted on YouTube and Twitch links.
- Stardew Valley
- Updated AM2R's community patch link to the latest version.
- Fixed missing "NEW" tag for the Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age randomizer.
- The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages / The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
- Added link to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time randomizer web patcher.
- Added Super Mario Land 2 DX (unofficial hack) compatibility for the Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins randomizer.
- Removed finap13's Paper Mario randomizer due to violating the chaotic effects rule.
- Rewrote warning with old Metroid Prime / Metroid Prime 2: Echoes randomizer.
- Other minor description changes.
- Correction: The new Final Fantasy XII randomizer is for The Zodiac Age version, not the original version.
- Added style rules to list of game name criteria.
- Dark Souls (enemies)
- Final Fantasy XII
- Dark Souls II (items)
- Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade / Fire Emblem / Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time / The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest
- Moved the original versions of Jgwman's Dark Souls II randomizer and lushen124's Fire Emblem randomizers to the Deprecated section.
- Simplified the description for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time item randomizer beta fork.
- Fixed abyssonym's EarthBound randomizer incorrectly being in the Other section instead of the Deprecated section.
- Removed the item tracker link for the La-Mulana remake randomizer.
- Minor fixes to Nexus Mods URLs.
- Updated the insufficient for inclusion list and game name criteria.
- Removed new/updated tags that were accidentally left to the multi-game category redirects.
- Digimon World
- Updated links to Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Shufflizer and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask Beta Quest
- Removed the Enemizer extension for The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past item randomizer as it has been integrated in it, and updated its description accordingly.
- Updated link to tetraly's The Legend of Zelda randomizer.
- Minor update in the descriptions of both The Legend of Zelda randomizers.
- La-Mulana (original freeware version)
- Clarified that the other La-Mulana randomizer is for the 2011 remake.
- Removed description of the Secret of Mana randomizer, at least for now, to avoid confusion.
Clarified that the Majora's Mask loading zones randomizer requires a cheat engine.
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Master System)
- The Legend of Zelda (full item randomization)
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (loading zones)
- Updated Fred Coughlin's The Legend of Zelda randomizer description.
- Added a Metroid Prime 2: Echoes winnable seed generator for Claris's randomizer, and moved the later out of the deprecated section with warnings.
- Updated link to the Super Mario Bros. 2 randomizer for one that doesn't require a Discord account.
- Minor clarification of usage instructions for AM2R's randomizer.
- Metroid II: Return of Samus
- Wario Land 4
- Updated AM2R's community patch to latest version and related instructions.
- New website, same URL.
Reverted changes from earlier today related to The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. Turns out that I goofed and did not realize that the new version by Alex Trush is still a work-in-progress and not playable yet. Oops.
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (new version with advanced logic)
- Added a beta fork to the The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time item randomizer
- Moved DeathBasket's randomizer for The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask in the deprecated section as it has less features compared to the new one.
- Updated link of the Final Fantasy IV open world randomizer to its new domain name.
- Rockman 3: Winternight (unofficial hack)
- Updated link to the Metroid / The Legend of Zelda crossover randomizer.
- Rewrote a good chunck of the informational section at the bottom of the page.
Updated links of the new Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars randomizer and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past item randomizer to HTTPS.
- Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
- EarthBound (deprecated)
- Corrected Dark Souls series name.
- Deprecated the old Super Mario RPG randomizer.
- Updated links to the Final Fantasy IV Roguelikeifyer and the Lufia II: Rise of the Sinstrals randomizer.
- The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
- Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (deprecated)
- Fixed Pokémon game names in deprecated list.
- Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
- Contra (NES)
- Added info about crossover randomizers that requires a special emulator to run.
- Minor update to the Final Fantasy X randomizer's description.
- More general improvements and fixes related to new/updated information.
- Updated more links from HTTP to HTTPS.
- Mega Man 4 (enemies, items)
- Appended alternate name "Rockman" to the "Mega Man" category name.
- Improved download instructions for the Mega Man roguelikes.
- Fixed Final Fantasy NES randomizer link.
- Fixed game name for all main Pokémon games up to Black and White.
- General improvements and fixes in "New or updated" section.
- Added missing NEW and UPDATED tags.
- Added Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon to the list of supported games with the existing Nintendo 3DS Pokémon randomizer.
- Fixed game name for Pokémon Black Version 2 and Pokémon White Version 2.
- Added "New and updated" section at the top of the page.
- Added NEW and UPDATED tags.
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (items, open world)
- Replaced "entrances" tags to "loading zones" for consistency.
- Updated tags for the Final Fantasy IV open world randomizer.
Updated link to the The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past items/entrances randomizer.
- Super Metroid (items, with extensive customization options)
- Deprecated old Super Metroid items randomizers.
- Clarified that the Contra / Super C crossover randomizer is for the NES port of Contra, not the original arcade version.
- Standardized romanized names in international Kunrei-shiki except for katakana.
- Added note about which game names are used in the list.
Updated the Mega Man Battle Network 3 randomizer with a new version that also supports Blue Version, and put the original randomizer as deprecated.
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (entrances)
- Updated link and instructions for the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night randomizer.
- Updated Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu's game name to standardize Japanese-only titles and avoid unofficial translations.
- Added Probotector alternate name in Contra's category name for European readers.
- Metroid Prime
- Moved Chris's old Metroid Prime randomizer as deprecated, and modified its description to address winnability issues, including a warning to not use it for Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.
- Updated links to the Contra / Super C and the Metroid / The Legend of Zelda crossover randomizers.
- Metroid / The Legend of Zelda (crossover)
- Updated link and description for the Contra / Super C crossover randomzier.
- Contra / Super C (crossover)
- Rad Racer
- Renamed list from "The BIG List of Randomizers" to "The BIG List of Video Game Randomizers".
- Added the "Doom", "Heretic", "Team Fortress" and special "Multi-series" categories.
- Removed company-specific categories as it made specific games harder to find.
- Replaced "See also" to "See Multi-series category" and identified individual games accordingly
- Updated links and descriptions for EarthBound, Legacy of the Wizard and Phantasy Star IV randomizers.
- Updated a bunch of links to HTTPS.
- Removed America's Army automatic weapon swap randomizer.
- Phantasy Star II
- Team Fortress II (closed source service)
- Wolfenstein 3D (from an old version of the Doom level generator already on the list)
- Updated link of the Phantasy Star IV randomizer to the latest version.
- Updated list of supported games for the Doom level generator.
- Fixed The Ultimate Doom game name.
- Further clarified exclusion list.
About the "Corruptors", "Restrictions" and "Bingo" stuff, I have come to the following conclusions:
- Restriction generators are nice tools for convenience and inspiration, but are in general unnecessary as they can be easily replicated by generating a few random numbers at specific key points in the relevant game and associating each number with a choice the player has to comply with. The big exception is for speedrun races where the random conditions should be hidden until the race start, but I believe that such tools are better shared within the relevant speedrunning communities instead.
- Bingos are the most complex restriction generators due to their 5x5 grid format and balancing issues, so the easy replication argument does not apply for them. However, they are exclusively designed for speedrunning purposes, and I've had multiple speedrunners tell me that bingos don't actually feel random, so again I believe that such tools are better shared within the relevant speedrunning communities instead.
- Corruptions usually fall into my self-imposed exclusion of "only adding random elements over the normal game". The reason I made this exclusion in the first place is because they are generally trivial to make and usually has extremely limited replay value. Corruptors that don't have those issues unfortunately have the side-effect of causing softlocks and crashes, both of which are undesireable states within randomizer communities.
For these reasons, I no longer feel that awareness of these tools justifies their inclusion on a randomizer list. Therefore, I have decided to remove these categories and their content altogether. As a side-effect, this will also allow me to dedicate more time to the main list. Here is a backup in case others want to pick them up and continue from where I left off. I will consider linking to such successor lists if they become a reality.
- Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
- Fire Emblem Fates
- Soul Blazer
- Super Metroid + The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (crossover... as in both games are merged together before randomization - a technical achevement and the first of its kind!)
- Removed all corruptors, restrictions and bingos. (See above for the detailed explanation.)
- Removed automatic weapon swap randomizers from the Souls category.
- Added the Capcom, Konami, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sega, Square Enix categories.
- Merged the Rare category with the new Nintendo category, the Shining category with the new Sega category, and the Mana category with the new Square Enix category.
- Cleaned up remaining category names.
- Added "See also" for randomizers that matches multiple categories.
- Updated link for the Mega Man 3/4/5 roguelikes to rock5easily's new website and added download instructions for people that can't read Japanese.
- Moved back general information to the bottom of the list and updated it.
- Added the "I want more!" section.
- EarthBound (gift boxes, key items, optional roguelike)
- Updated the style of the list to make it more compact.
- Minor tweak to the description of Final Fantasy IV Beyond Chaos Gaiden randomizer for standardization of hack names.
- The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time (items - new one and much more advanced than the old one)
- Moved finap13's old The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time item randomizer in the Deprecated section.
- Moved general information and the tetrimino image to a dedicated blog post.
- Marked special randomizers as bonus lists.
Added AM2R (fangame) randomizer.
Added Fire Emblem section with a new self-randomizing Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones hack.
Added instructions on where to find the Final Fantasy VI (extensive conservative changes for competitive play) randomizer executable from CodePlex's archive.
- Final Fantasy VI / Brave New World (extensive changes with configurable severity, optional roguelike)
- The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time (restriction section)
- Changed description for the "Roguelikeifyer" and "Beyond Babil" Final Fantasy IV randomizers to "linear roguelike" and "non-linear roguelike" respectively.
- Grouped all restriction randomizers from voidfox.com to a single entry since they share the same URL.
- Metroid (map)
- Hollow Knight (enemies)
- Rabi-Ribi (passive bingo)
- Split the list so that special randomizers are not mixed with standard ones.
- Changed the style for better readability on smaller windows.
- Removed the helpful resources link for the A Link to the Past item randomizer as it's now included on its website.
- Removed the Triforce Hunt sprite randomizer link for the A Link to the Past item randomizer as it violated the "cosmetic-only" rule for inclusion.
- Resident Evil HD Remaster
- Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
- Super Mario Bros. 2
- Multiple games for the same randomizer are now separated by slashes instead of ampersands.
- Further standardized game names.
- Updated link to the non-passive Super Mario World randomizer to use HTTPS.
- Fixed Hollow Knight non-special randomizer broken on multiple lines.
- Added missing descriptions to randomizers where an additional randomizer for the same game was also present.
- Added note that the list excludes randomizers already within original games and ports unless an external tool exists.
Added note that the Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door item shuffler now also randomizes enemy loadouts in the Pit of 100 Trials.
- Golf (NES)
- Kirby Super Star
- Fixed link to The Simpsons: Hit & Run bingo
- Moved both Kirby games in a new Kirby section
- Updated link to Symphony of the Night's relic randomizer to the new official GitHub repository instead of Pastebin.com
- Created full changelog page on my blog
- Final Fantasy IV (randomized open world)
- Added missing description for one of the Final Fantasy V randomizers to avoid confusion
- More stuff for the popular The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past randomizer: new Triforce Piece Hunt sprite customer and updated helpful resources link
- Renamed "Telefang Power" to the its full name "Keitai Denjuu Telefang: Power Version"
- Reordered games, including new categories: "Rare (company)" (the Donkey Kong games are now in it), "Rockstar Games (company)" and "Star Wars"
- Updated link to the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night randomizer to the latest version
- Blade of Darkness (multiplayer weapons)
- Gang Garrison 2 (fangame)
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (corruptor)
- Gratuitous Space Battles
- Homeworld 2
- Scourge of War: Gettysburg
- Star Wars: Republic Commando (corruptor)
Alright, well even the abridged list is now too long to fit in a single ROMHacking.net post despite its minimalist design (last iteration was 14746 characters out of 15000). I might be able to tweak it, but I'm going to have the same problem in an iteration or two anyway. Besides, it was starting to be a pain to continuously update 2 similar lists but with with some elements missing between them, and written in different markup languages (BBCodes vs Markdown).
For these reasons, I decided to remove the abridged list from ROMHacking.net. From now on, the BIG list of randomizers will be available exclusively on my blog.
This was not an easy choice, but I believe it is the best thing to do for its continued development. I never expected my list to grow to its current scale nor become a common reference, and it's all thanks to you! I will continue to follow the original ROMHacking.net thread and post updates of any changes there, just like before.
Note that I'll keep the old list in strikethrough on the original post for a while during the transition period just in case.
- Dark Souls III (items)
- Final Fantasy V (passive - forgot to add the unofficial Four Job Fiesta to the list because the official one only runs a few days a year (which makes me sad))
- Game Dev Tycoon (appears broken with the latest version but wanted to list it anyway in case it gets fixed eventually)
- Hollow Knight (abilities & charms)
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (x3: alternate start, Words of Power shuffling, and a deprecated one that generates random dungeons)
- The Talos Principle
- XCOM: Enemy Unknown
- Added additional restrictions on was acceptable or not on the main list.
- Removed the "Unfinished" tag to the Symphony of the Night relic randomizer because I was incorrectly assuming text uploaded to Pastebin couldn't be updated.
- Answered the following fundamental question: "How the fuck do you randomize Tetris?" (actual quote from Twitch streamer Vinesauce)
- Added DELUXE variant of the multi-game bingo
- America's Army (times 2!)
- Dark Souls II (items)
- Fallout: New Vegas
- Fallout 4 (tines 2!)
- Metroid: Zero Mission
- State of Decay
- Super Metroid (roguelike)
- Tetris (NES)
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
- Added La-Mulana randomizer item tracker
- Updated Skyrim randomizer URL
- Standardized game name series prefix
- Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
- Doom II (silly enemies and weapons)
Other major changes
- Added roguelike tag to an existing Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door randomizer following new feature.
- Fixed Super Metroid randomizers incorrectly marked as deprecated and added them back on the abridged list.
- Clarified that the A Link to the Past enemies randomizer is an add-on to the items randomizer.
- Replaced Endless Mode tag to roguelike for people not familiar with Mega Man 9/10 DLC.
- Updated link to Final Fantasy (NES) and Kirby's Adventure randomizers.
- Paper Mario (a new one for items and loading zones)
- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (relics)
Note: As of this writing, the Symphony of the Night one is still unfinished.
- Divinity: Original Sin 2
- Donkey Kong Country
- Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls
- Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness
- System Shock 2
- Updated Super Metroid route randomizer link to its new official page
- Fixed Rabi-Ribi randomizer link on abridged list
- Randomizers appearing in abridged list are now in bold in full list
- Added terminology section in full list
- Removed generic file corruptors from full list
Added a bunch of randomizers for Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, big thanks to Zephiles for sharing them!
The list is now too long to fit on the original ROMHacking.net post!! I kept only the non-passive & non-deprecated randomizers on it. The full list is now on my blog.
Added bingo boards (blog only).
Added non-game-specific corruptors (blog only).
- Borderlands 2 (mod bundle which includes various randomizers)
- Final Fantasy VI (exits)
- Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
- Super Metroid (items - newer and better than the old one!)
- Star Fox
- The 7th Saga
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (corruptor)
- Updated link of the Dark Souls item randomizer to always point to the latest version
- Removed the A Link to the Past entrance randomizer variant as it has been merged with the main items randomizer
- shadowevil1996's Borderlands 2 randomizer is not deprecated
- Dessyreqt's Super Metroid randomizer is now deprecated
- Removed the Super Metroid item randomizer HUD from the list as it was designed for Dessyreqt's version
- Final Fantasy IV (not a roguelike this time)
- GoldenEye 007
Added an entrance variant to the popular A Link To The Past item randomizer.
Minor labeling changes to remove some confusion.
- Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
- Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
- Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Randomizers added to the list
- Dark Souls (times 3!!)
- Dark Souls II
- Dark Souls III
- Dragon Quest 1·2 (SNES)
- Duke Nukem 3D
- Final Fantasy V Advance
- Kirby's Adventure
- Legacy of the Wizard
- Mega Man 6
- Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
- Phantasy Star IV
- Super Mario Bros. (area shuffling)
- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (enemies)
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
- Added link to A Link to the Past item randomizer resources
- Added OBLIGE add-on for Brutal Doom
- Fixed dead links to Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask randomizers that were originally posted on forums.zeldaspeedruns.com
I've added a second Final Fantasy IV roguelike by abyssonym it to the list, and I'll keep the old one there too until I can figure out if it needs to be moved to the deprecated section or not.
I've also added a new Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow item randomizer, also by abyssonym!
By the way, there are two The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past randomizers floating around now. I've added the new one by Veetorp to the main list, and moved the old one by Dessyreqt to the deprecated section, because the latter has been seemingly abandoned and has been used as a base for the new one. It has many new features and bugfixes, so I highly recommend you check it out!
I also found a convenient HUD for that last randomizer that I've added alongside it that should be convenient for Twitch streamers. There's also a version for the Super Metroid item randomizer that I've also added.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (roguelike)
- The Goonies II
I actually found two recent Metroid randomizers made within a month of each other. I'm putting snarfblam's in the main list and Netsrotti's in the deprecated list, as it seems the only advantage of the latter over the former is an option to have duplicate upgrades.
Also, to complement the Hitman passive randomizers, I also found a bunch of nice passive randomizers hosted by Trysdyn (including a Four Job Fiesta generator available all year long) for the following games:
- Diablo II
- Final Fantasy
- Final Fantasy III
- Final Fantasy V
- Final Fantasy VI
- Legend of Mana
- Romancing SaGa 2
- Shining Soul II
- Tales of Destiny
- Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
After investigation, I updated the the link for the Final Fantasy V Ancient Cave to point to ROMHacking.net instead of an archive.org snapshot for convenience.
I also updated the link to the Gensokyo no Nazo randomizer - it now has a proper webpage and many new features!
- Amnesia: The Dark Descent (corruptor)
- Pokémon X & Y & Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire & Sun & Moon
- Zelda Classic (fangame) (randomizer quests)
Yes, this means that all main international Pokémon games released so far has randomizers. Pretty cool!
And with that, the list now contains more than 100 unique games, and that's only counting official games! I never expected there would be so many when I started. Wow!
Updated the link to the Final Fantasy randomizer following the 1.0 release.
I also added a playable work-in-progress Final Fantasy IV roguelike randomizer.
Added a Pokémon Crystal randomizer that randomly fuses Pokémon with matching evolution stage.
Added two Hitman randomizers to the list. Although they do not actually alter the games, they generate a random set of additional requirements for each mission. I decided to include them despite the lack of in-game enforcement because they still affect gameplay.
The Guardian Legends randomizer is no longer behind a registration wall! The author kindly uploaded the latest version on RHDN after I asked him for a public link. The list has been updated accordingly.
Added Pokémon TCG card randomizer to the list!
Added a Secret of Mana randomizer to the list!
Also added the Doom weapons mod that I had completely forgotten to include back when I added all the Doom mods.
I was let known of a Paper Mario randomizer, but I've seen a few reports that it's not working. I tentatively added it to the list with a note.
Added Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories to the list!
New randomizers added
- Super Meat Boy
- Super Metroid (deprecated)
Merged missing entries from Kaltenborn's list
- Pokémon Colosseum
- Super Mario Bros.
Also, I realized that the Metroid Prime 2: Echoes randomizer was merged with the Metroid Prime randomizer, so I merged the entries as well.
Added a new Super Mario Bros. 3 randomizer, and moved the old one as deprecated.
Clarified supported versions for the Mega Man Battle Network games, and renamed the Dragon Quest and Fire Emblem games to their official modern titles.
More awesome randomizers
- Borderlands 2
- EarthBound Beginnings
- Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
More corruptor randomizers
- Super Mario 64
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
More depredated randomizers
Added Mother 3.
Added Reelism mod for Doom II.
First, I added a brand new id Software section, which includes a bunch of new randomizers in it (including a No Man's Sky parody) and updated information about OBLIGE. The games are:
- Ultimate Doom
- Doom II
- Final Doom
- Samsara (unofficial Doom mod)
- Quake II
Second, I also added a new randomizer for Gensokyo no Nazo.
And finally, I added a Deprecated section with old Doom, Fire Emblem and Pokémon randomizers that weren't on the list before. I also moved Catastrophe's Dragon Quest and Sanqui's Pokémon Red randomizers in that section, since I believe almost all of their features are included in the other ones.
- Ocarina of Time (another one)
- Pokémon Stadium
- Super Mario Bros. 3
- Sven Co-op (corruptor)
- Half-Life 2 (corruptor)
- Team Fortress 2
- Yoshi's Island (corruptor)
Restored Endless hacks for Mega Man 2-3-4-5 that had been deleted by mistake.
Added The Guardian Legend.
Merged missing entries from the GameRandomizers Wikia
- Dragon Quest 4
- Final Fantasy
- Final Fantasy III
- Final Fantasy V (abyssonym)
- Mega Man Battle Network 3
- Mega Man X
- Metroid Prime
- Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
- Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
- NES Open Tournament Golf
- Pokémon Red (Sanqui)
- Pokémon Trading Card Game
- Shining Force II
- Super Mario RPG
- Telefang Power Version
Added Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.
Added two Mega Man randomizers.
Added Super Mario World.
Initial list published on the ROMHacking.net forums.