In 2012, I created a podcast about game design called Beyond the Game. I co-hosted it with software designer and developer Joseph Benkual, and the theme song was composed by sound designer Ryan Rafael Lopez.
We made 12 main episodes in which we analyze the design of popular video games, plus another 12 bonus episodes about miscellaneous subjects. The episodes were published between July 3, 2012 and January 13, 2013.
As the original website for the podcast is now down, I have decided to archive all the episodes below.
Note that this was our first broadcasting experience and that we recorded each episode while being in different cities, so the production quality suffered from it. Also, it is possible that my opinion has changed on some topics since the original recordings.
Nevertheless, I hope you will enjoy this series!
- Episode 1 - Doom
- Bonus Episode 1 - Joseph's background, Wrack
- Episode 2 - Demon's Souls
- Bonus Episode 2 - Guillaume's background, theme song
- Episode 3 - Tetris
- Bonus Episode 3 - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney movie review
- Episode 4 - Frozen Synapse
- Bonus Episode 4 - Frozen Synapse: Red DLC
- Episode 5 - Fallout
- Bonus Episode 5 - Video game livestreaming
- Episode 6 - Scribblenauts
- Bonus Episode 6 - Video game censorship
- Episode 7 - Lemmings
- Bonus Episode 7 - Video game hacking
- Episode 8 - Legend of Grimrock
- Bonus Episode 8 - Community feedback in design
- Episode 9 - Metal Gear Solid
- Bonus Episode 9 - Video game budgeting
- Episode 10 - Game & Watch series
- Bonus Episode 10 - Video game pricing
- Episode 11 - Mass Effect
- Bonus Episode 11 - Video game delays
- Episode 12 - The Legend of Zelda series
- Bonus Episode 12 - Save systems and checkpoints
Beyond the Game is distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported license.